Professional Background -
ALAN WALKER CREATIVE SERVICES, Temecula, CA.
Graphic Design, Production Artwork, Process and Work Flow Improvement
Owner/Principal January 2009 to Present
- Consumer packaging design and production
- Workflow improvements
- Consultation on all things packaging, graphics and printing
NBTY Inc., Carson, CA.
Leading Manufacturer of Branded & Private Label Vitamins & Supplements
Vice President - Graphic Services LHP July 2008 to January 2009
- Led the Graphics team to transition all work from California to New York due to acquisition of Leiner by NBTY Inc.
LEINER HEALTH PRODUCTS, Carson, CA.
Leading Manufacturer of Private Label Vitamins, Supplements & OTC Drugs
Vice President - Graphic Services July 1991 to July 2008
· Executive level management of the Graphics Services Division including the Art, Proofreading and Traffic departments. Responsible for setting the creative standards and levels of expectations for all products packaging artwork, sales & merchandising support materials and trade show/web based interactive.
· Provided hands on leadership to the both in-house department and outside agency creative for over 100 national brand private label products including Costco, WalMart, CVS, Rite-Aid, SavOn and the Military.
· Direct management of up to 60 including full-time, part time, temporaries and independent contractors includes managers, supervisors, graphic & web designers, production artists, quality control technicians, traffic coordinators, account support coordinators, proofreaders, copywriters, computer support and clerical staff.
· Organized, coached and provided leadership to work teams yielding improved customer service and technical skills and the lowest staff turnover of any department at Leiner.
· Responsible for preparing and administering an annual operating budget in excess of $3,000,000.
· Operated the Art Department as a profit center, generating a budget surplus of over $1,500,000 annually.
· Initiated numerous improvements including CTP printing process, PDF work flow, digital asset management, branding & artwork guidelines, new digital imaging technologies, in-house digital photography studio and the standardization of all print, web and office software.
· Designed new 10,000 S.F. graphics facility including cubicles, conference rooms, common work areas, computer network and artwork storage equipment.
· Designed and coordinated the first multi-departmental, electronic document management system for artwork tracking. The KeyFile system incorporated a paperless work flow strategy reducing artwork approval cycle times.
· Created mobile laptop program for account packaging design approvals. Sent designer to account's location to obtain delayed approvals in order to meet manufacturing deadlines.
· Designed and directed the graphics efforts for Leiner's first retail store exercise. The 1,200 S.F. outlet mall facilities included exterior signage, in-store merchandising graphics, point-of-sale materials and promotional fliers.
WALKER ADVERTISING, Los Alamitos, CA.
Advertising, Design and Marketing Agency
Owner/Principal December 1987 to June 1991
A full service agency offering its client’s start-to-finish advertising and marketing support including: start up marketing, new product roll outs, complete merchandising programs, trade and consumer media services, creative and design services, print publishing and brokering, trade show support services, co-op and yellow page program development and maintenance.
· Clients included fashion, hardware, office services, manufacturing, printing, and food services.
MAKITA POWER TOOLS USA, INC., Cerritos, CA.
International Electric Power Tool Manufacturer
National Advertising Manager January 1984 to November 1987
· Direct management of the in-house advertising and printing departments.
· Directly responsible for developing and managing a print and media budget of $6,000,000 annually.
· Managed staff of 12 including art director, production artists, media placement coordinator, writers, pressmen, pre-press strippers and clerical staff.
· Provided project and branding management on all related advertising materials focusing on the building trades, industrial power tool and home improvement markets.
· Planned and executed numerous advertising promotions including a 1986 Formula Atlantic race car sponsorship and “The Do It Yourself Show” on the USA Cable Network.
· Produced over 1000 projects annually including sales fliers, merchandising/point of sale materials, corporate identity and TV/Radio commercials.
· Provided hands-on coordination for Makita’s many outside advertising agencies, vendors, suppliers and commercial printers.
Technology Proficiencies ~
Windows 7, 8 and 10, Mac OSXMicrosoft Office Suite
Adobe Creative Suite
Building and modifying desktop and laptop computers.
Digital Imaging & Photography-
System design and implementation of imaging hardware and storage solutions.
Digital cameras including point & shoot, DSLR and studio scan back systems.
Skills Based Proficiencies ~
Additional Creative Design Disciplines-
Interior decorating, industrial, set & stage, sound & lighting, museum display & exhibit.
Wood, Metal & Plastics-
Proficient with wood, metal and plastic fabrication processes as well as shop skills.
Residential construction including room additions, plumbing, heating, electrical, tile setting and
interior finishes, Residential landscaping including hard and softscape.
Lighting & Sound Systems-
Commercial entertainment lighting design and fabrication, custom loudspeaker design and fabrication, system installation and maintenance.
Model Making & Prototyping-
Museum artifact replication, antique reproduction, consumer product and packaging prototyping, electronic circuit assembly.
Painting & Industrial Coatings-
Residential/commercial interior and exterior protective coatings, automotive finishes and custom graphics, furniture refinishing, hand lettering, pin stripping & air brushing, silk screening.
Articles, Awards and Honorariums ~
Publish Magazine - Feature Article 1997
Xerox Color Symposium Guest Speaker 1996
Xerox Color Contest Winner-First Place 1995
Publishing and Production Executive Magazine
Feature Article 1994
National Association of Desktop Publishers
Member Profile Article 1993
In-Plant Printing and Publishing Magazine
Print Award - First Place 1986
Orange County Advertising Federation
Honorary Judge - Annual Awards Contest 1985
Handyman Magazine Best Award – Trade Advertising 1984